Wednesday, June 04, 2008

A Few Thoughts on the Nominees

I've made no secret that I wanted to see Obama and McCain become the nominees of their parties. In fact I donated equally to both of their campaigns to help ensure that happened. I did this largely because I both of them have qualities that are admirable and I want a presidential race that is about the issues rather than one that is about slinging mud. Although had Hillary not been a Clinton (and ran a cleaner campaign) I could have just as easily supported her instead of Obama. But I just couldn't see where swapping control of this country from one family to another again would be in the country's best interest.

I've given this race a lot of thought. And while I'm prone to vote in favor divided government on principle I must admit I also really like what having Obama as president would say about America. However I also live in a very red state. So unless McCain screws the pooch Texas will be there for him come election day. I therefore could vote for Obama knowing that my vote would be wasted. But again I strongly believe in the principle of divided government and my voting record shows that. I've voted against the majority party in every single presidential election since I've been old enough to vote.

So I've worked out a compromise with myself. Given the power grabs by the current administration I will vote for whichever candidate I believe will restore the balance of power away from "the imperial presidency". And if neither McCain or Obama are willing to do that then I'm voting for Bob Barr in protest.