Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Senator Hutchinson to Step Down

From CNN:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison will not seek re-election after her current Senate term and may leave before her term ends in 2012 to run for Texas governor, a spokesman for the senator says.

Hutchison, now in her third full term in the Senate, told Texas Monthly magazine that stepping down in two years "has to be considered." Her comments were confirmed by spokesman Matt Mackowiak.

"Is it better for Texas for me to leave early and give someone else a chance to start building seniority before the class of 2013? I think it probably is," Hutchison said. Excerpts of the interview were posted Monday on the magazine's "State of Mine" feature written by editor Evan Smith.

First let me come clean: I have no love for Kay Bailey Hutchison. She was a rubber stamp Republican for W (save for on immigration issues in which she was a hard liner), she voted for the war and then repeatedly voted against expanding VA facilities in Texas, and her office sent out some really snarky responses whenever I contacted them about various issues of import to me. In fact I supported Barbara Ann Radnowksy during the last election just on the off chance she'd oust Hutchison.

In my opinion Texas (and America) need fewer Hutchinsons and more leaders that will look at all sides of an issue and vote for their constituents best interests rather than their party's. I'm glad to see her go. But I'm not gloating... nope....not gloating at all.