Thursday, February 02, 2006

State of the Union Distress

I have great difficulty watching W's state of the union addresses. Generally speaking ten minutes into it I start having to choke down the urge to yell at the TV like I'm watching a football game that I have bet money on. (Not that I bet on football games. ) On the flip side I can read them without that urge. I do snort and growl a lot.

There are a few points I'd like to make in response to it though.

1: We'd be alot better off in Iraq the whole show had been run by someone other than Donald "I didn't learn crap from Viet Nam and I know better than my Generals" Rumsfeld

2: Medical liability reform is a states rights issue. Many states have already made such reforms and this proposal goes against the GOP's stated value's of less govt interference, smaller govt, and less federal laws.

3: Advanced Energy Initiative I support in part. It took long enough. However there is one problem with it. Ethanol. Ethanol is nothing more than a soft farm subsidy. Why is that? Because the amount of energy needed to produce, manufacture, and deliver it are greater than the energy savings it brings. Until the nation has enough clean electricity, combines using biodiesel, and semi trucks that are either hybrid, running on biodiesel or both (the company that invents that engine will be laughing all the way to the bank) ethanol will remain inefficient.

4: No Child Left Behind act I'd feel alot better about that act if it didn't cause schools to cater to the least common denominator rather than actually push all of its students to new levels. Plus theres the fact that the same act allows military recruiters to contact your children without your permission. You can opt out though.

Thats it. Those are my major problems with this address. I could probably go on and on about how poorly the war has been run but then this blog be like so many others. And thats no fun.