Monday, April 03, 2006

Behold the apocalypse draws nigh! No really, this time we're right!

I'd run across several mentions of how Carl Rove had used the apocalypse as campaign selling point during the '04 elections and I had occasionally wondered if W was buying it as well as selling it. The jury is still out. What I can say for certain from my personal experience is that there is a higher number of churches promoting apocalyptic rhetoric than I've seen since 1999. How soon they forget it seems. I remember this also happening in the late 70's, then there was the harmonic convergence apocalypse of the 80's, and the Hale Bop apocalypse of the 90's. I seem to recall a Haley's Comet apocalypse as well. It amazes me is that people fall for it repeatedly during the same lifetime. Whatever happened to,"Fool me once shame on you..blah blah blah"?

I swear if I had a nickel for every time this movement reared its head I'd have built that Army of Robots by now.

So here's an article from the Washington Post about how the GoP wed Christian evangelicals in a bid for to "turn the highest office in the USA into the Holy Presidence-See". I'm no theologian but there's one thing I know for sure; Jesus was no tool. Too bad the same thing can't be said for all of his followers.